Monday, February 5, 2018

It Was a Fast-moving Week

Over the past week, I've thought about posting quite a few times, but just didn't get to it.  Stuff happens.  That's all I can say.

Let's start with the sun is out!  It's only going to be around 40 today, but at least it's sunny. 

I hope everyone had a good time with the Super Bowl.  I managed to stay awake for all the commercials!  My favorites were the one with Peter Dinklage and Morgan Freeman for Doritos Blaze and Mountain Dew Ice, and best of all was the commercial for the NFL touchdown celebrations with the guys dancing the final number from "Dirty Dancing".  Loved it!  The movie previews were good, too!

So, why haven't I been writing?  Les and I have been busy researching (Les has done most of that) and meeting with contractors, making decisions, and finalizing things for the kitchen work.  Friday we signed the contract with Colonial Kitchens and our contract is now in the lineup for the cabinets to be built.  YAY!  But so many decisions!  We were given a tour of the workshop - it is huge - and all the cabinets are hand made to order.  Vann told us it would probably be up to twelve weeks before the cabinets are completed, but he was hoping for sooner and will keep us posted.  Once they are built, he says the work will go quickly.  But all of our materials selections have been made, deposit paid, and things are in order.  I am "chomping at the bit" to start cleaning out the kitchen, but Les thinks it's too soon.  So I cleaned out the linen closet and the laundry nook!  😊

If it was a little warmer I would spend my energy out in the yard.  There is much to be done, but I don't try to work out there in the cold and wet and in mud.  But hopefully, soon!

Once we got the kitchen decisions made, Les started organizing all the info for our taxes.  Our "tax guy" sent us the list of things he needs and questions to answer.  Les is dropping it all off as I write this.  Then he said he is heading to Lowe's to buy outlets and switches and covers for the kitchen.  Vann said we should decide what we wanted for those since most will be going over the backsplash when it is finished.

Like I mentioned, there have been a lot of decisions to make.  In our project, the floor, paint color, lighting, and the footprint for the cabinets are all staying the same.  But decisions had to be made for cabinet style, wood type, and color.   What kind of hinges? Which type of soft-close hardware for the drawers? What color and style of handles?  Which type of counter top material - granite! - and then what grade and color?  What kind of sink?  What kind of backsplash and then what colors? Then we had to decide on the new dishwasher - Kitchenaid.  I really do think it helped that I had strong opinions going into this about what I did not want.  Everything was a joint, mutual decision, but since I am in the kitchen more than Les, I knew there were some things I did not want.  I believe we are going to be happy with everything we picked!  As a side note, our girls will be  happy to know that a major re-organization of what is where is going to happen!  They have always thought the silverware was in the wrong spot.  😊

Eventually the weather will cooperate and Les and his golf buddies will be back out on the course. They are all ready and anxious.  In the meantime, we have recorded shows to watch and many good books to read. 

So, as always, life is good.  Stay safe and God Bless America!


No comments: