Sunday, July 9, 2017

Day Twelve

Today has been so much better!

We were on the road after stopping at Starbucks.  Beautiful countryside!  We didn't drive as long today and got to the Great Salt Lake about 10:30.  It has such an interesting history, things I did not know.  I will read more.  It is God's creation and beautiful, but I have to wonder what He was thinking when He made that smell!  It about knocks you over when you open your car door.  The only things that live in the lake are brine shrimp and some kind of larvae, both of which the birds like to eat.  The lake is in the migratory path for many birds and is a protected area.


Then we headed to downtown Salt Lake City (Sal Talay Ka Siti for you "Book of Mormon" fans). BTW, that soundtrack was our music choice for the drive here.  :)

The Mormon Tabernacle is huge and beautiful.  The whole site is open to the public except for the actual temple.  Wonderful architecture and stonework.  Beautiful statues and landscaping --  gorgeous flowers and trees.  We went in a few of the buildings and walked around a little. 


We are now in our lodging at Hill AFB.  The suite is old, but very well furnished and clean.  Golfer and I are relaxing now and both catching up on our tablet and computer.  We made a trip to the Commissary and picked up a few things to replace what we had to throw away last night with no fridge or ice.  We have a nice sofa and a couple chairs to sit on, and a desk.  The A/C works and we also have two fans and two TVs.  Life is good!  Lunch was late so I don't know what we're doing for dinner.

It is hot here.  I think my internal thermostat needs adjusting.  I can't seem to cool off.  I remember doing okay in the heat when we lived in Colorado with no A/C and thought I would be okay, but darn!  It is just hot even if it is dry.

I will close with a couple nice pictures of Idaho Falls after my complaining about the hotel earlier.
 The Falls are part of the Idaho Hydrodynamic system.  There is a lovely park with walkways and places to play or rest.  You can tell the water is coming from the mountains because as you get close it is cooler.


This is right across the street from where our room was.  That white building is the Idaho Falls Mormon Temple.  And this is the cute moose statue!



Tomorrow we will be heading to Bryce Canyon.  Stay safe and God Bless America!

No comments: