Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day One

Hello!

As the mother of an experienced blogger, I am entering this new area (for me) of technology with some anxiety. But that daughter is just a phone call away, so here we go.
My husband and I have been through a long stretch of thought, discussion and research and came to the decision that we would stay in our current house when he retires. So after another long bout of research and more discussion and more decisions we're entereing a new phase - making changes to our house. Specifically, at this point in time, remodeling our bathroom.
The old bathroom was very functional and very nice. However, it had a large garden tub that neither of us ever used; only persons ever using it were small grandchildren. So....... we decided to have the whole thing gutted and redone, and while we're at it, we're making it totally accessible with higher counters, higher commode and grab bars installed. It will have a large tiled walk-in shower with multiple water jets.
But I'm ahead of myself here, today was only day one. Here's how it went:
Up at 5:30 and did all the usual morning stuff. Rounded up the cats. Got our two furry girls into their safe room all set up with food, water, litter box and toys. Could NOT get my hands on our little furry boy, he is afraid of everything. And even more so if you look like you're trying to pick him up! In anticipation of that, we had set up a safe area for him upstairs in our spare room where he likes to hide under the bed. The demolition guys were scheduled for 7:30 - 8:00 a.m.
I was ready. A little after 8:00 Chris and Kevin rang the doorbell. We talked, they looked. They left to go get more supplies. I had anxiety attack. I later realized this was because things were actually starting on the project AND I have always really not liked having other people "mess with our stuff". But the guys were nice and polite and professional. They came back from Lowe's and spread tarps and drop cloths from the front door of the house all the way into the bathroom. Then the noise began. You would be amazed how much noise there is when someone is using a hammer and crowbar to take out tile and other bathroom fixtures! I kept my husband updated on things with phone calls and email.
Scott, the site supervisor, came by - more discussion. Then a phone call. The cabinet maker wanted to come this afternoon for us to decide on style and wood finish. Husband came home for that meeting.
When Chris and Kevin went to lunch, I checked on the furry kids. Could not find our little boy. Much stress. I finally found him wedged in behind our large TV in the living room.
The men carried the trash out to their trucks and hauled it away at the end of the day. The items we can donate to Habitat for Humanity are stored in our garage. They will be picked up next week. They can take everything except the glass door shower.
About 3:00 they started cleaning up. I have to say I was very impressed. They swept, took out trash, shook the rug by the front door and even swept the porch! they will be back tomorrow morning at 7:30!
Also scheduled for tomorrow are the electrician and possibly a visit by the plumber, and the cabinet maker will bring a sample of the finish on the wood we chose. He said my drawing of what I wanted for a wall cabinet between the sinks was pretty good. He seemd to understand exactly what I wanted!
I am taking advantage of having "flex time" at work and told everyone I will be there when I'm there and the work will get done. Yea, for having an understanding boss!
I will be posting some progress photos as soon as I can figure out how to do that! it's time to get some rest!

No comments: