Wednesday, October 17, 2018

End of Something Else

Another large company is going out of business.  It was announced this week that Sears is closing their stores.  I admit it has been quite a while since I have shopped at Sears.  The one in our area is at what used to be called the Newmarket North Mall.  That was also the mall where we used to go rent movies many years ago.  They had VHS tapes and Beta.  But that is another topic and those are long gone, too.

All the stores are closed now and the buildings are being used for other things.  I think Sears might be the last store there.  I just read that they had closed off the second floor already and are shutting things down.

Which brings me to some memories.  As a child it was always a big deal when the Sears catalog arrived.  I loved looking through it.  In addition to Sears, J.C. Penney's always had a special Christmas catalog.. What fun to sit and look and wish!

Our girls continued that tradition.  I remember when Mom would make a Fall visit to us wherever we were living she would sit with the girls and look at the catalogs.  She'd tell them they could pick one thing each up to a certain dollar amount.  Sometimes that took hours or days for the decisions to be made.  I don't remember any of the things they picked, but I do remember what fun they had.

Now, no more catalogs.  We just search online.  It just isn't the same.

RIP, Sears.


But life is still great.  Stay safe, and God Bless America!

No comments: