Sunday, May 15, 2016

Routines Change Over the Years but Busy, Busy!

During the years that Golfer was active duty Air Force and then Civil Service, he went TDY fairly often.  That was a fact of our lives.  I love having him around and close, but I am capable and I adapted.  It always annoyed me to hear other wives in that situation whine and carry on and cry about how hard things were and they couldn't cope.  If I was then as I am now, I probably would have upset quite a few of them telling them to buck up and get on with things.  Back then, I was pretty quiet spoken.  I have been told by long time friends that when they first met me they were worried that I didn't like them.  Not the case, I like them a lot.  It's just that back then I didn't talk much.

I was raised by a strong mother and grandmother who just went ahead took care of things that needed to be done.  Golfer and I have tried to raise strong daughters.  I think we did really well with that.

Back to the "going TDY"... When Golfer had to travel, I would save up projects and things to work on.  When the girls were little, they got most of my time.  But later, I would have projects.  I would also cook a huge pot roast and eat leftovers all week or a huge pot of chicken and noodles.  Golfer is not particularly fond of either of those dishes, so it worked out well for both of us.

So now we are both retired and there are no more TDYs.  But he has an annual golf trip to Myrtle Beach with the group of guys he plays golf with on Wednesdays and Fridays.  He really looked forward to it this year because he had to miss last year's trip for medical reasons.  The guys are in MB right now, playing golf, some playing poker, and eating things no one is criticizing them for.  :) There is some beer involved also.   He has texted and called every day and is having a great time.  The weather has been good for them.

All this background leads up to my "me time" and the answers to the couple questions from friends about what was I going to do all by myself.  ????  Well, NOT complain, NOT whine, also NOT cook or do anything I don't feel like doing.

I gave the house a good cleaning. I did some yard work and pulled weeds and had everything all tidy out there.  I groomed the furry boys and did their nails and combed and brushed them.  I've finished one good book and started another.  I watched some shows.  I cleaned out some "stuff".  I took Kirk to the car wash and then detailed him.  I had to do some more yard clean up today because a front with strong wind came through last night and left a mess in the yard.  I did some errands.  So I've kept busy.  The extent of my cooking has been breakfasts.  I do like a good breakfast!  I did make a salad one evening but I don't count that as cooking.  Putting a pot pie in the oven is not cooking either.  I have been to the "Y" a couple times, too.  So, no worries!  Golfer will be home sometime tomorrow.  I will be happy.  The furry boys will be, too, they've been looking for him.  Although I am not sure Finnigan is going to relinquish the recliner.

Stay safe!


No comments: