Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Another WTH Moment

Golfer and I have been thinking about getting a whole house surge protector.  We like to watch several shows on HGTV and we've heard about them and seen them installed on the shows.  Seemed like a good idea.

So I started looking for information.  We figured the first place to contact would be the company that installed our generator and done all our HVAC work.  Those departments of their company are great.  I don't have much to say about their electrical services division.  I was transferred to five people and spent at least twenty to twenty-five minutes, total, on hold before someone could tell me that they had no information on whole house surge protectors and they didn't know anything about them.  Along the way with these conversations I got a lot of "What??" responses.

After that annoying adventure, I decided to call our power company.  We see a lot of ads for advances in technology, and conservation, and safety from them.  Sadly, it was another bout of transfers, and being on hold, and after about fifteen minutes finally someone could tell me that the power company did not know anything about whole house surge protectors.  They did offer to talk to me about power strip protectors.  Duh!  Already have those.

WTH!!???  Maybe I'm just more sensitive to being annoyed by idiots.  Maybe it's age related.  I do know that in recent years I don't "put up with stuff".  I used to be just stay quiet and not make a fuss.  Not now.  If something is wrong, or not being handled correctly, I usually speak up.  You know, make a list and take names!  Life is too short.  Or, another way to look at it is life is too long to keep putting up with idiots.  It makes me wonder about employee training, education, common sense.  It's the whole "what's the world coming to?" line of thinking.  Or as my Grama used to say, "The world is going heck in a hand-basket!"

After spending over an hour on the phone being irritated, I thought about what the next step should be.  I mean, really, I wasn't speaking an alien language or asking for some outrageous unheard of product.  Although it was obviously unheard of by all the people working at the power company!

I called our handy-man and asked him if he had any ideas.  Within ten minutes he called back with the name and phone number of an electrician.  I called him.  He said the protectors were great and he had one in his house!  Ours will be installed in the next day or so as soon as he gets the parts he needs.  I'm going to suggest he could drum up some business if he advertised since no one else in the area knows about these!

BTW - I was getting close to looking up the phone number for Mike Holmes.  He'd "make it right".

Stay safe!

No comments: