Monday, September 30, 2013

Driver's Ed

I got to visit with NurseJ recently and we were talking about BeyB's school year.  School just started after Labor Day.  Here in Virginia public schools don't start until after Labor Day because the tourist businesses need the teenagers to work.  So she's been back to school for about a month now.

Anyway, BeyB pretty much likes her classes and teachers and her schedule with the exception of having PE first thing in the morning.  But NurseJ said it would be okay for a while, because they were starting with Driver's Ed.  DRIVER'S ED!!!???  Our first grandchild is starting Driver's Ed!!!!

And this news brought some memories.  My Mom did not own a car until I was old enough to learn to drive.  We lived in a small town.  We walked everywhere.  If we needed to go to the larger towns, there was bus service, or Granpa drove.  Anyway, Mom got a Ford Falcon, stick shift.

The school's car was an automatic, so I learned on both at the same time.  With an instructor who was the football coach.  He was a loud, impatient man, a great football coach, but not so patient and gentle teaching teenagers how to drive.   There was always yelling whenever we were out on the road.  There were usually tears, too.  I don't remember crying, but I remember some of the other girls sobbing in the back seat after they had had their turn at the wheel.  Sometimes the boys didn't fare any better. I liked Scotty and tried hard.  But wow!  The man would be arrested today if he acted like he did then.

So I'd drive the automatic school car.  Then when Mom had time off work, she'd take me out in the Falcon.  You will never know how nerve-racking that could be until you've learned to drive a stick shift on rolling country hills with stop signs at the top of the hill.  I always hoped no one would get too close while I was stopped because I knew I was going to roll back down the hill a ways before I got going forward again.  Fun times.

When NurseJ and Bikini were learning to drive, Golfer would take them to the empty school parking lot whenever there was snow just so they could practice driving in it.  That is a major problem here in Virginia.  Many, many people do not know how to drive on snow and ice.  The mind set is "if I go faster I'll get out of it sooner" just does not work.  We wanted them to be prepared.

So, I wish BeyB good luck and patience for all involved.  I'm sure she will do well.  But how did she grow up so fast?

Stay safe!

No comments: