Friday, September 13, 2013

The Week in Review

First of all, my thoughts and prayers go out to friends and family who are in declining health and to their caregivers.

And then thoughts and prayers go to the people in Colorado dealing with deadly flooding.  Golfer and I love Colorado and are familiar with the areas that have been hit with first the fires and now the floods.

And also in my thoughts and prayers is New Jersey.  I've never been to the Boardwalk.  But I can appreciate what the people have been through dealing with storm damage, rebuilding,  and now a horrible destructive fire.

This week was the anniversary of 9-11.  And don't you know, that on that day of remembrance, some idiot called in a bomb threat in our area and shut down traffic at the major bridges and tunnels.  People were stuck in traffic for hours and hours while the authorities stopped and inspected all trucks and large vehicles.  I hope they catch the person who did this.

I think the count is up to 270 for dead dolphins washed up on the beaches around here.  The news reports say it's a virus that's killing them.  And one theory is that this virus is related to one that causes measles.  They say there is no transfer between the dolphins and people.  But it's a sad thing to see those beautiful creatures being killed.

And let's keep Hawaii in our thoughts, too.  Who would think that molasses would kill so many of the beautiful sea creatures there and cause such damage?  Golfer and I stayed in Honolulu and it was gorgeous.  The newspaper said the molasses sinks to the bottom and suffocates the fish and other creatures.  And then their dead bodies attract sharks, so they are warning people to stay out of the water.  Geez.

On a happier note - our DVD of the latest "Star Trek" movie arrived yesterday and we spent last evening watching it.  Wonderful movie!  And speaking of "Star Trek", I hope you all heard that V-ger has passed on out of our universe.  What/who will it find?  And will I live long enough to find out??  :)

Another milestone was reached this week, too.  I received my Medicare card!  Effective January 1st!

Other than all this, it's a calm, routine week around here.  I've gone to exercise classes, kept up with the housework, did some work in the yard, groomed the furry kids.  Oh, and we got new phones!  Golfer and I spent one evening getting them all set up.  I think it still amazes him that I love mine so and use all the features on it, instead of just using it to take phone calls!

On that happy note I'm off to fold laundry!  Stay safe!


No comments: