Sunday, September 15, 2013

Wildlife!

I woke up this morning a little before 5:00 a.m.  I couldn't really get back to sleep and just sort of dozed until I heard Golfer turn his alarm off and get up to get ready to leave for the golf course.  At that point I knew I wasn't going back to sleep so I got started on my morning routine and then got dressed.

It was just starting to get light outside and I went to look out the back window.  We had used the fire pit last evening and I wanted to see what I needed to do to it this morning.  I was standing there, calm and peaceful, looking out at our back yard and WTH!  here comes a parade of raccoons!  There was one large one and two smaller ones.  While I was watching them, along came another smaller one.  He must have been lollygagging around.  They crossed our patio and went around the deck.  A couple went up onto the deck.  They all looked clean, had shiny coats, bright eyes, and were moving well.  That time of morning is when raccoons usually are going to bed.

Now, when our deck was rebuilt a few months ago, it was done with boards that went down to the ground.  Presumably to stop critters from going under the deck.  I have to remember to tell Steve that didn't work.  :)  The adult and two of the young ones went under the deck.  The other youngster decided to have a stare down with Finnigan who was watching from the office window.  This was fascinating to watch.  Angus came in to get in on the action.  There were lots of kitty noises and a lot of twitching tails.  

While I sat in the desk chair taking this all in, a small rabbit scooted under the gate, started around the deck and stopped with a "whoa, who are those guys?" look.  Also on the scene were some squirrels and a gorgeous cardinal.  It was a busy morning in our yard.  Eventually, the young raccoon went under the deck with the others.  The kitties went for naps and I got my coffee.

The black "spots" on the wall are the raccoons!
I was sitting there in the living room, frequently looking out the window to see if anything was going on.  And there goes one of the youngsters trotting across the yard, back around our shed. They must have chosen him to be the advance scout. He looked around, then looked toward the deck.  At this point I have to think he was sending a message to the others because the other three all filed out and across the yard.  They got together back by the shed and started climbing the wall!  They all went up and then they went single file across the top of the wall, like on a balance beam, and left the area.  Exciting times around here!

And now that all our visitors are gone, I have opened the windows and everyone is happy.

All pictures were taken from inside the house.  I would have loved to have close-up photos, but I'm not stupid!

Stay safe!

No comments: