Saturday, September 4, 2021

Fall

 


Yes, I am ready for Fall.  I'm ready for cooler weather.  I'm ready for the Fall colors.  They make me happy.  My Mom always liked Fall colors.  

When I was little Granpa would take us all for drives out "in the country".  He'd stop along the roads and Mom and Grama would pick dried milkweed pods and pick up bright colored leaves.  Granpa helped when they found a batch of bittersweet growing somewhere.  He would cut some and when we got home Fall arrangements were made to set around their home.  We also picked up a LOT of Buckeyes!

I've been working on our "official" Fall cleaning.  This was a ritual for Mom and Grama.  I remember helping Grama clean wall paper with the stuff that looked like and smelled like green Playdoh!  I also remember her hauling her rugs out and onto a line in the yard.  I got to help beat them with a thing like a tennis racket.  I am sure it has a name, but that's what it looked like.  Mom would get down on her hands and knees and scrub and wax the floors.

Even though I try to always keep things clean and neat, I do like Fall cleaning.  Thankfully, this cleaning is a bit easier now.  But it still takes time, patience, and energy.  Some days those things are in short supply.  But I've been working on it and all the rooms have had walls wiped down, baseboards cleaned, floors cleaned, windows washed, etc.  Nothing like the smell of PineSol cleaner on the floors and Lemon Pledge on the furniture!  

The last thing on the list is to clean and put the sealer on the granite in the bathrooms and the kitchen.  I will get to that in the next day or two.  Then I can see about some of the small outside jobs in the yard.  The fence is completed.  We have some guys coming to put the weather protectant on it sometime soon.  Unfortunately, the fence work made a mess of some areas of our yard.  We're working on that.  I'm pretty sure when our yard guys come at the end of the month to aerate, seed, and fertilize, it will all get better.

This is the first year for these lovely Fall pillow covers that Pam made. Thanks, Pam!

Jacquie and Chris came and helped move some things out of our upstairs room. Thank you! 

The semi-recumbent elliptical machine is all set up and we've been using it.  We're still deciding exactly what to get for a chair/convertible bed up there.  We may move a couple things around, but for now it's mostly open space.  The elliptical won't be moving.  Probably never moving ever according to the three men who got it up there!  

So, life is good.  Take care of yourselves and stay safe.  God Bless America!

No comments: