Monday, August 6, 2018

May Not Really Be an Old Wives' Tale

Perhaps we really do turn into our parents.

I know that I see parts of Les and me in Jacquie and Pam.  Sometimes that just makes me smile.

Mom had issues with her gallbladder almost all my life.  She was not going to have any unnecessary surgery if it wasn't going to fix anything so she always carried with her her little green pills.  What I was told was that the doctor told her the non-functioning gallbladder wasn't hurting anything, it just didn't work.   Mom was not real big on giving out medical information or asking questions of her doctors either.  If I knew she had not been well and asked about any prescriptions, the answer was something like "oh, it's a little pink pill" or "it's a little yellow pill; no names, no diagnosis, just "it's okay".  To be honest, that is a trait and habit that has run in my family for  a couple generations and it stops with me.  I go to appointments loaded with questions and lists.  And I want answers!

Anyway.... Mom frequently had cereal for supper.  We were all used to it.  When our girls were little they liked having breakfast for dinner, so when she visited we made sure we had cereal she liked.

I know why now.  Ever since my gallbladder was removed a few months ago, my sense of taste  has changed, my system has changed, and sometimes the only things that even sound good are maybe a scrambled egg or a bowl of cereal.  And on days when we have eggs for breakfast, it's got to be  cereal.  The first time Les noticed this, I think I got an eye roll, but he'll get used to it.

Mom would have been 109 yesterday, if she had not died at 101.  We miss you Mom.  I think of you every time I have cereal for lunch.

Mom like to do fun things.
 This is us dressed up for the Navarre, Ohio, Sesquicentennial, 1956.
  We also dressed up every Halloween.  😊
Stay safe, remember life is good.  Also remember your mothers, and God Bless America!

No comments: