Thursday, February 25, 2016

Weather!

Yesterday was an "interesting" day.  It was gray and raining when we got up. It was just misty at times, other times really raining.  And it was in low 70's.  As the day progressed, the wind picked up and things got serious.

We had only been home from the "Y" for a short time when our phones started blaring with a severe weather alert - a tornado warning.  Then we heard sirens going off.  We had never heard those before.  We shut down the computer and concentrated on watching the weather.

Golfer and I are fine here.  We had thunderstorms and wind off and on all evening, into the night.  We just have some small limbs down in the yard, so when it dries out I'll do another bag-and-grabber clean-up.  Other areas were not so lucky.  Waverly, VA, was hit the hardest where a tornado touched down.  Three, possibly four killed, and a lot of the town just blown away.  Closer to us, in the Hilton Village area (one of the older sections of Newport News) there are at least twenty very large cedar trees either downed or damaged.  There have been power outages in a lot of areas.  This morning it is sunny and windy, about 50.

Before the weather got so nasty yesterday, I did some cleaning on the porch and potted the pansies.  I bought new matching clay pots with saucers when we were doing errands this week.  I oiled the wooden chairs that are used as plant stands, scrubbed dried bird poo and dried worms off the porch floor, and wiped down the rails.  I'm not sure what was going on with those worms.  During some recent heavy rains, they just sort of appeared on the porch and then they died and dried onto the concrete.  Sweeping did not move them, hence the scrubbing.  They weren't bothering anyone but me, and I decided it was time to do something about it. It sort of reminded me of lemmings jumping off a cliff.  Perhaps they were looking for a  safe haven from the rain??  Anyway, it's all cleaned up now.

Nurse J made it home from her overnight work trip to Roanoke.  She says they are okay at her house.

I have not heard from Bikini.  She was supposed to be getting back to her home from her work conference in Las Vegas.  I heard there have been many delays and cancellations at the airports all around, so I hope she made it.

Today is just keeping up with the usual things around the house.  There is also some desk work to be done.  Stay safe, folks!




1 comment:

Pam said...

I was sleeping in bed under a pile of cats as you wrote this! My plane landed early and I didn't want to wake anyone up texting or calling that early.