Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Remembering Fall in Ohio

I grew up in Navarre, a small town in Ohio.  In my memories, Fall was always sunny, cool and crisp, with the wonderful colors and smell of the changing and drying leaves.  We’d sort through them and pick the prettiest and then have a project of dipping them in melted wax to preserve them.  Granma would send Granpa out to hunt for branches of bittersweet with its lovely little orange berries so she could decorate the house.  This was back when you could drive along a country road, see something you wanted to pick and carefully just do it.  People weren’t so fussy in our area about trespassers.  I guess since it was a small rural area, everyone pretty much knew everyone else and it was okay.  That was how Granpa used to go pick blackberries for Granma to make jam, too.
Don't get me wrong, there were some properties that everyone knew you shouldn't go onto, as the owner might be really particular about his yard or his fields.  So everyone  respected that and stayed off.
When the prettiness of the leaves wore off and they were on the ground, they’d be raked to the curb and any kids around could jump in them and play with the pile.  Then we’d help rake them back together and we’d have a big fire to burn them.  I’m sure I inhaled more smoke than I should have.  I’m also sure it wasn’t good for the environment.  But is filling large plastic bags and loading up the dump sites that good for the environment now?
I remember festivals of various sorts.  The church ladies always had a Fall bazaar and luncheon on election day.  And there would be the big Swiss Festival in Sugarcreek.  That was fun – fresh, crisp apples, wonderful large chunks of fresh cheese, home grown vegetables and fruits, music, and crafts.   And always fresh apple cider and powdered doughnuts!
Halloween was big deal back then.  Navarre always had a Halloween parade through town that ended up in the school gym.  There would be costume judging and refreshments (apple cider and doughnuts!)  My Mom always loved Halloween and would make us costumes.  One year I was Robin Hood and she was Maid Marian.  Another year she was Granny and I was Little Red Riding Hood.  My favorite was the year she was Aunt Jemima and I was the pancake.  I know, I know, that is politically incorrect now.  But back then we were just simply a very popular syrup commercial couple!
On Trick or Treat night the kids were free to walk all over town.  Back then we could do that without fearing for our lives.  We’d get apples, homemade cookies and popcorn balls, and even sometimes a nickel!  And also candy!  This was before you had to worry that some deranged awful person put something into the candy or treats.  The only way you got sick from your treats is if you ate too many at once.
I’m not sure why we did the dried corn throwing.  But as we’d walk around from house to house the corn got tossed. It made a great noise! I’m sure the birds and squirrels and other critters were happy about it.  The next day some of us would help sweep it up.
I never understood the whole soaping windows thing back then either.  I never did that, but I did get asked to help scrub Granma’s windows if someone messed them up. She had a good attitude and said it just made her windows cleaner.  Mom and I lived in a second floor apartment, so we didn't have to worry about that.
There was never any of this scheduling of Trick or Treat times either.  Now it can be on different days, or in the afternoon.  Back then, when it got dark on Halloween night, the kids came out. It did not matter if it was really cold, or raining, or snowing.  You could go around until you wore yourself out, your neighbors ran out of treats, or your Mom called you in. 
But, things have changed.  I used to really enjoy Halloween and would decorate and carve a pumpkin, and get lots of candy to pass out.  But, politeness and consideration has gone out of the holiday now.  A couple years ago, the local paper printed a list of where the best neighborhoods were for trick or treating.  Our neighborhood was at the top of the list.  Since then, every year there are cars and vans full of kids being dropped off at the entrance to the community.  Large kids who are over the age limit, and kids who aren’t even in costume.  Kids who don’t know how to say please or thank you.  Kids who stomp on your landscaping.  The reporter should never have written that article, but I blame the parents.  The lack of manners and driving them in is their fault.  So I no longer participate.  The new tradition is dinner out after seeing our grandchildren in costume.  And we always get the grand-kids a little something as a treat.  So, however you celebrate, whether you do or not, have a good evening.  I will be enjoying happy memories of what used to be.

Stay safe!

No comments: