Saturday, December 28, 2013

Winding Down and Other Random Thoughts

Well, as it has been for most people, we've been busy lately.  Christmas is over. Decorations are down and safely packed away until next year.  Some cleaning has been done.  All is well and we are happy.

I hope you've all had a peaceful holiday.  Golfer and I are not really party people for New Year's Eve,  so we're looking forward to some snacks and some movies.  We got some new DVDs as Christmas presents so we're all set.

Cutie Girl had a good First Christmas.  She kept us laughing during dinner.  And she liked her gifts, but seemed more interested in chewing the paper and playing with the boxes!

Golfer and I watched some of our favorite Christmas movies once the reruns started on TV.  In "Christmas With the Kranks" (Tim Allen) there is a scene with Christmas carolers.  It got me to thinking about caroling many years ago.  It doesn't seem like there are many groups that go caroling any more.  When I was a little girl in small town Ohio caroling was a big deal at Christmas.  There was always caroling planned by various church groups, girl scouts, boy scouts, and other organizations.  The tradition was to bundle up - seemed like we always had knee deep snow about then - and carry your flashlight and music sheet.  We would walk all around town.  The leader had a list, probably of shut-ins or ill folks, and we'd stop in their front yards or on the porch and sing.  Sometimes the people sent cookies out or made a donation, but that certainly was not necessary.  We always ended up at the end of the evening back at the church or the school and had hot chocolate and cookies to warm up.  Good memories.

Some of you know my personal belief about Winter already.  For those of you that don't, I am fine with Winter, cold, and snow up through Christmas.  On December 26th I am ready for warm sunshine!  I very rarely get my wish.

So, time is moving on.  It's the time of year I sort of switch into clean-out mode and want to sort through closets and drawers and clean things out.  That will probably happen this year, but a little slower.  I continue to progress with the PT and am gaining strength in tiny bits.  But I will be the first to tell you, with Golfer ready to second it, that the six months or more of lower back pain and hip pain that the doctor told me to expect after surgery is getting really old really fast.

But life goes on and life is good.

Stay safe and have a Happy New Year!

No comments: