Monday, August 26, 2013

One of Those Huh?? WTH! Moments

So our homeowners' association office sends us emails with notices of special happenings, any pertinent crime watch info, and other important "stuff".  It's good to be informed.

We got one recently telling us about a home owner in a neighboring area.  The home owner had a rattlesnake in his yard!  A real "WTH" moment!  And not only that, it was an endangered rattlesnake.  The email included instructions that if we saw a rattlesnake, we were NOT to pick it up and definitely DO NOT KILL IT!  They are on the protected species list.  Call animal control to come and get it.   Lawsuits would be filed if a snake was harmed.

I don't know about you, but my first thought isn't to pick up a snake when I see one.   I freaked my Grama out when I was little.  She and Granpa had taken me to Jungle Larry's Animal park and we were watching the show.  He asked if anyone wanted to pet the snake and I put my hand right up there!  I remember him being smooth.  The snake, not Jungle Larry.  I also remember Grama being pale. 

Now, you probably have figured out by now that I like God's creatures and don't wish any of them any harm.  When we lived in Colorado we learned to be alert and stay away from rattlesnakes.  If I come across a small snake (not a rattler) while working in the yard, I am more inclined to carefully loop him over the end of a rake and toss him to another area away from me.  When we lived in houses with woods behind us, I flung them that way.

However, my dear Golfer is not so inclined.  A dead snake is a good snake.  Plainly put, he does not like snakes.  Maybe there were too many on the farm where he grew up or something.  He's always been this way.  He would never purposely harm a creature.   He would do anything for me or his children and grandchildren.  He has a kind soul.  But snakes are in a whole separate category.

For the sake of these endangered rattlers, I hope they stay out of our yard.  For they are taking their lives into their own whatevers (I was going to say hands and realized that didn't fit!)

Stay safe!  And watch out for snakes!

No comments: