Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sending Out My Sympathies and Condolences

To all the Hostess Twinkie and Ho-Ho lovers out there, you have my thoughts.

I didn't really get to experience Hostess snack products as a child.  Mom was the retail store manager of Nickles' Bakery, in Navarre, Ohio.  They baked great bread and other wonderful goodies and shipped them all over the area.  So Hostess was the competition.

I used to watch the Howdy Doody show on a tiny screened black and white TV.  I remember they had a big contest at one time where the seals at the ends of the bread wrappers were pictures of Howdy and his pals.  (this was back when the bread came wrapped in something like a wax paper wrapper and folded and sealed)  My friends were collecting the picture seals.  I would see the ads on the TV.  I don't remember what the prize was going to be if you got them all, but every kid wanted to get them.

My Grama would get a loaf of Hostess white bread every now and then just so I could get a sticker or two.  She had the Nickles' bread delivered to her house regularly by the bread man, but would buy the Hostess bread at the grocery.  Grama was great!

I went to the Commissary this morning for the last of our Thanksgiving supplies and noticed the Hostess shelves were wiped almost clean.  There were a couple of beat up packs of orange cupcakes hanging on.

I am sorry for your loss.  Rest in peace Twinkies.

No comments: