Friday, November 30, 2012

Tra La La La La!

Hey, all!


Well, thank goodness for the four day Thanksgiving weekend! I need to pace myself for various reasons and it took all weekend to get our decorating done.

The outside work was fairly easy. Golfer brought the containers down from the attic and had them by the front door for me. I did the garland and lights on the porch and only broke one bulb! He finished up by setting out our much loved snowman that his Dad made for us years ago.

Inside decorations were a much different matter. I had lots of helpering furry kids for that. Here is how it went…. Golfer got our trees set up. We made sure all the lights worked on both. On Saturday I decorated the dining room tree. BTW, it is really great. It’s one of those “pop up” trees so it’s easy assembly and already strung with lights. The furry kids were very interested in the red and gold ribbon I use on it for garland. And then even more intrigued by the shiny ornaments. And let’s not get started on the tree skirt. I cannot tell you how many times I have put it back in place.

Then on Sunday I started on the living room tree. I started with the silver garland and was about a third of the way done when the dryer dinged and I had to go get some clothes hung up. Then I went back to the tree and “someone” had “helped” and I started over with the garland. And that’s pretty much how it went. I sorted ornaments as I went because I had decided this year would be a year without glass or antique ornaments. I am sure you can figure out why!

This was the very first year that all our Star Trek ornaments lit up and worked on the very first try. Some of ours are from when they first started making them and light strings have evolved enough that we have to use some adapters that Hallmark sells. I was so happy! The only one of ours that no longer works is our Borg cube. Sad. I miss them!

Anyway, I got the tree skirt under the tree – again, and again, and again……… I think it was Monday evening we discovered that the entire bottom section of the tree’s lights had gone out. We spent a while working on that and replacing fuses with no luck. I have since gone to Wal-Mart and bought a single string of lights and put around the bottom of the tree. And we’ve decided a new tree is being purchased for next year, one like the dining room one.

The Hummel nativity set is safely displayed behind glass doors this year, as are some other favorite breakable decorations. And I have declared the decorating finished. Now on to other projects!

Stay safe!

No comments: