Saturday, November 10, 2012

Why Must Everything Be Such a Rush?

My "Fall" garden flag has been bothering me ever since I put it out after Halloween.  It was more faded than I remembered and I decided to get a new one.  I had no idea how challenging that was going to be.  My first stop was at A.C Moore (used to be Ben Franklin's).  I couldn't find the garden flags and asked one of the staff.  I was told all they had were Christmas flags.  And it was true - there was a whole row of those!  I said, "but it isn't even Thanksgiving yet".  And I was told they stock a season ahead.

So I went to another store and they had a lot Christmas flags, and one (1!) with a bright Fall colored turkey on it.  Not really what I was looking for but I bought it and it makes me smile out  there at the front of the house. 

This has made me consider some things and think about our society.  Why are we in such a rush and why do we pressure ourselves so much?  I recently said to Golfer that I felt like I was running behind this year.  I hadn't done much shopping for Christmas yet, had not baked and frozen anything, had not started the cards, and had not even thought about our annual letter.  He looked at me and said don't do the letter.  At first I was a bit upset and shocked that he would consider that.  But it didn't take me long to decide he was right.  Like he said, we have email, he's on Facebook, I write this blog, and we have phones.  What can we possibly write in a Christmas letter that we haven't posted, texted, written about or called to tell someone.

So folks, hang on to your hats!  This is the year I stop doing a Christmas letter.  I am sure some folks will not notice.  Some will probably say "thank God!".  A couple  might miss it.  But Christmas will come on time and all will be good.

There were already some changes planned for Christmas what with having some young, very active furry kids.  The decorating was going to be a little more laid back this year.  I will still open all the boxes and look lovingly at all the decorations.  But then I will be putting most of the breakable ones back in the boxes.  I will be hanging the unbreakable ornaments this year!

Don't worry, kids, I'll still try to make some cookies and there will still be presents for you.  But I have decided to not stress myself any more.  We're going for quality all around, not quantity and stress. 

I'll keep you posted.  Stay safe!

No comments: