Sunday, September 12, 2010

THE DAY BEFORE

Hey, all!

It's the day before my surgery.

I woke up about 5:30 this morning, did my exercises and then got up and dressed for the day. Cooked breakfast for Golfer - he likes omelets and I might not be able to handle that for a while. I've been busy doing things around the house that I want to do. It's not that Golfer isn't perfectly capable and willing, but I want to do this stuff. I cleaned the kitchen and the bathrooms and changed the bed. Laundry is running right now. I've mopped the floors and vacuumed. I'll dust when the laundry is all finished.

I still need to pack my small suitcase. I'm not exactly sure what all to take, so I'm just putting in comfy jammies, robe, slippers, etc. Since we're only about five minutes away from the hospital if the traffic is good (always a question around here!) I figure if I forget something Golfer or Nurse J can bring it to me. We've been told to expect my hospital stay to be two or three days. Honestly, if I'm there at all I'm going to want a shower. And I have no idea if I will be able, or allowed, to take a shower, but am packing toiletries to cover that! I have everything else labeled and ready - brace, cooling unit, walker, etc.

It's a dark, cloudy day here. Been raining off and on. That sort of puts a crimp in my plans to sit out in the sun on the deck for a while, but that's okay. Golfer and his friends had a match scheduled for this morning and he went out to the course to see if they were playing. Sometimes it can be raining here at home and nothing out there and vice versa.

He said we'd go out for dinner tonight, my choice. And my first choice is Outback Steakhouse. I have to call later and see if they are actually open for business. They have, unfortunately, recently had another fire! The paper said it wasn't too bad, but didn't say when they would reopen.

I have checked my calendar and I have done all the prep things that were mentioned. Did you know that before major surgery now, they restrict your grooming? And yes, I mean things like shaving your legs, etc. And yes, I know, TMI for some of you. So Friday was grooming day! And I have kept to the schedule as far as stopping medication and such. So I guess I'm about as ready as I'm going to get.

This will probably be my last message until after the surgery. Perhaps Golfer will want to say something though. We'll see. I'm a little nervous, but have confidence in my doctor and the hospital staff. I know God is watching over me. I know I am loved by my family and they will take care of me. I plan to be up and mobile as soon as possible though.

So take care and stay safe!

No comments: