Saturday, November 29, 2008

BEAM ME UP, SCOTTY! CRISIS RESOLVED!



Hooray! For several years now I have been having an on-going battle with our special Star Trek Hallmark ornaments. They are not "new". New strings of lights do not accomodate their plugs. It all came to a head in the last thirty-six hours, requiring an early morning trip to Wally World to look for new lights to try. Found some lights that lit, but not after trying to put the ornaments into them. HARUMPH!



So I sent out an S.O.S. to our daughters and any Geek Squad and Nerd Herd friends for help. Shortly, and almost simultaneously, I received a phone call from Nurse J and an email from Bikini, both saying they had found adapters online. I checked it out. Just what I had been asking for! My spirits lifted! They were Hallmark brand! I was impatient! To heck with waiting for ordering and shipping! I started calling all the stores in our area. Evidently I am not the only person on earth with this problem. The responses were "I'm sorry, we're sold out." I found one store that had eleven. I said I'd take them all and be there shortly. However, this store is far enough away that it would be necessary to go by way of the interstate. On a Saturday. With heavy shopping traffic. Those of you who know me, know this is not optimum. (for those of you who don't know me, I was in a bad accident a little over nine years ago and don't care for driving on the interstate or around large trucks) Fortunately, Nurse J lives close, was on call today, and has two cells phones for her work to reach her and she offered to drive me.



So, in a matter of minutes, we were off. Got the adapters. Even bought Christmas cards since they were on sale already! Who knew! Then, as soon as I got home, I took a deep breath and thought good thoughts and started installing adapters. And the stars above were happy and all the ornaments lit, blinked, spoke and wished us a "Merry Christmas!" Even the Borg cube hanging next to the Vermont Moose family!


So all is well! Crisis is resolved. I have less stress. And we have another new ornament on the tree, too. I just couldn't resist buying Captain Kirk's communicator for Golfer!
As Bikini has so eloquently put it, she comes by her geekery honestly in light of my Star Trek crisis. There's something to be said for heredity.
More later.... Stay safe and "make it so!"




























No comments: