Tuesday, October 29, 2019

Some Thoughts and Reflections



I was listening to a report/interview on TV recently about "Life Journeys".  Those of you who know me also know I don't really go for what I call the "touchy feely" stuff, but it did get me thinking.

I was raised by a divorced, hard-working mother.  If something needed doing she did it.  She had many strong opinions but rarely voiced those.  For whatever reasons, she thought it was better to stay quiet.  So as I grew up, I used to be like that.  If something needed to be done, I did it.  But I didn't talk so much, to the point that two dear friends have told me that when they first met me they thought I did not like them.  Now when we get together, our husbands tell us we are all never quiet. 😊

Les and I have been married for over fifty-two years.  He is the love of my life and my best friend.  We have two wonderful, responsible, talented daughters.  Life has been very good.  During the years when he was active duty, going on assignments, and going TDY, I always handled things at home.  If something needed to be done, I figured a way to do it, and hardly ever talked about it.

But then, November 2, 1999, happened.  I was very blessed and survived that awful accident.  I think as bad as it was, it made me stronger.  It's been almost twenty years, and it is never completely out of my mind.  But I survived, and during the injuries and recovery, something was switching on in my brain.  (Les and the girls blame the flat spot on my head from the concussion)  I am no longer that quiet person who rarely spoke up.  If I see something, I say something.  If something is not right, I say something.  If someone waves or says hello to me, I wave or say hello back.  And whenever possible if something needs to be done, I still try to figure out how to do it.  Age, past surgeries, and other health issues sometimes make that harder, but I try to find a way.

So often older people are dismissed, and overlooked.  Sometimes we are seen as insignificant when others see we move more slowly, or our hair is silver, or it takes us longer to understand new technology.  To the younger folks who are guilty of this, I advise you to be careful and be more considerate.  If you are lucky, you will someday be older yourselves.

I had a couple instances recently where someone we were doing business with did not care to talk to me; they only wanted to speak with Les.  Honestly, I think they should have known better.  They were ignorant of the fact that Les and I handle things together, but I am very capable of making decisions.  And more often than not, I am the one that will be calling them for future service and also writing checks and paying bills.  So heads up!  If you want to keep our business, act better!  As an example, let me tell you about the service agent at the car dealership where we have purchased several cars that made a major goof.  This agent was a young female and when I went in to pick up our car - the TLX I drive the most - she said to me that she needed to talk with my husband. Les had dropped me off and was already heading home.  I looked her in the eye and asked why.  Then I told her I was the one who drove the car and she could just tell me whatever needed to be said.  She took a breath, apologized, and basically just wanted to tell me that the work had been done.  I thanked her and drove home.  I am pretty sure she will improve her customer service practices in the future.

The picture at the top of this post is from a Facebook post a friend made.  It just sort of jumped out at me and I had to copy.  If I knew where it originated, I would certainly give credit.  But thank you to the artist who came up with this!

So, I am here, I know myself, life is great!  Stay strong, take care of yourself, be courageous!  Remember to pick your battles wisely.  Stay safe, be kind, and God Bless America!

No comments: