Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Some More This and That

Les checks the news from Ohio online and recently came across an article about the lady who gave me my first job.  Martha and her husband, Bob, owned 21 Kremeland, up at the top of the hill on main street in Navarre, Ohio.  Many (many many) years ago when I was fourteen, I got a special permit to work.  They hired me to make soft serve ice cream cones and sundaes, cook up hamburgers and hot dogs, and do all the other necessary things around the restaurant.

The article said that Martha was in town visiting family and would be celebrating her birthday at their church.  I called the church this morning to see if I could get an address for her so I could send her a card and note.  I know from experience that a church secretary usually can find information.  😊 She did not have the address but did have the name and phone number of Martha's sister.  So I called and ended up leaving a message.  A short time later I got a call from the sister who said Martha was there with her and did I want to talk, so we had a nice visit.  BTW, they had been out for breakfast at 21 Kremeland this morning!  We did not serve breakfast when I worked there.  It was strictly walk up to a window and order and your food was passed through the window.  Now you can go inside and sit at nice tables and the place is much bigger.

Bob has been gone a long time.  Back when I was working for them, he had already had a stroke and had partial paralysis on one side of his body.  But that did not stop him from riding his three wheeled bike around town or going to the store if Martha told him she needed something.  Nice people and good memories.  She lives in Florida now.

I spent some time this morning making phone calls and doing desk stuff.  Got the Fall service check-up for the heating system all set up.  Talked to the Arborist about the tree we are going to buy to replace the dying one out front.  Called to see about setting up the appointments for our flu shots.  Waiting for a call back on that; the scheduler had to check on something.

Spent some time with Amazon.  I ordered something last week that was supposed to have been delivered yesterday.  I have received several conflicting emails from Amazon about that order.  First said "sorry, package undeliverable, and was returned".  ????  The the next said, "don't worry, it's coming, just delayed".  That was followed by "sent back, went to wrong place, might have been damaged".  Again..... what the heck?????  This morning's said "refund has been issued".  I have saved all the emails.  And I reordered, so we will either get nothing, or double. 

I finished reading the Linda Castillo books in her Kate Burkholder series.  Loved them!  The stories are set in Ohio right where we grew up and mention places where we have been.

Our weather is still very hot and humid.  Next week is the aeration and seeding, fertilizing, etc. that gets done by our yard guys.  Les will be doing the prep for that next weekend.  He has to mow short and mark all the sprinkler heads.  The rest of the yard work is up to date.  I got out yesterday with my grabber and a bag and picked up sticks and bits that came down in the last rains.

As you saw in the previous post, school started here today.  We are waiting to hear how Cutie Girl's first day went.  Jacquie expects the bus to bring her home about 4:00.

Stay safe.  Life is good!  God Bless America!


No comments: