Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Some Relief!

We've been sweltering around here with heat advisories and warnings due to high temperatures and even higher humidity.  But what a surprise this morning!  It was only 80 and there was a breeze.  There was still humidity, but the breeze helped.  So I took advantage of the pleasant weather today and did yard work.  I had been putting it off because honestly, I just simply did not want to be out in that heat.  Also, I've been just a little "under the weather".  Almost two weeks ago I was bitten by something.  Did not feel getting bit or even know I had been until I started itching and saw at least ten large, hot, red, extremely itchy spots on me.  About that same time my digestive system started being just a bit "off".  I think all of that was reaction to the bites.  After using a lot of Neosporin and Bendryl the bites are almost all gone.  I am feeling better.  Hence the yard work today.

There was a lot to be done - weeding, pruning, sweeping, cleaning spider webs down, picking up another bushel of pine cones, and sadly, lamenting the state of the rhododendrons in the newest landscaped area.  They are DEAD.  Branches are brittle and breaking off, leaves are brown and dry.  They never did bloom.  They had a short warranty of six months and I had mentioned to the landscaper that they weren't looking good a couple months ago.  We've never had rhododendrons before, and I read all the directions and followed all the care instructions.  They've had appropriate watering and been fertilized as instructed.  I talked  nicely to them and gave them encouragement.  Did not make a bit of difference.  They are very DEAD!  I will keep you posted.  I do not want more of them.  If the landscaper won't or can't replace them with something else I want him to dig their carcasses out and take them away.  Golfer and I will get some Encore azaleas and put in the holes.

Other than that, the yard is doing pretty well.  The heat and lack of rain when we need it is hard on things. But they have perked up after the thunderstorms the last couple nights.

Tomorrow Kirk goes in for service and Golfer and I go out for breakfast after we drop him off.

Stay safe!

No comments: