Monday, August 15, 2016

Just Some Thoughts

So. Ummmm. 

The landscaping guys came yesterday.  A Sunday morning, one of our hottest days, but that was when he said he could come.  Basically the work he was doing was fixing things he did not do right the first time they were done.  Thank goodness I am a nice, considerate person; some days that is hard though.

Some background.... the original work was done last Fall.  He had been recommended, is a nice guy,  and seemed to know what he was doing.  This was the major change in the back corner of our property that I posted about.  The first time he had to return was to re-install the edging that had been done wrong.  That was fixed okay, but in the process a couple sprinkler water lines were cut even though they had been marked.  Then the three large expensive rhododendrons that he had said were perfect for that area all started looking bad, even with appropriate watering and care, and fertilizing as instructed.  By the time he got here to look at them they were completely dead and falling apart.  Of course, the warranty on the plants was past by then but he said he would replace them providing the labor if we paid for the plants.  I have not seen the bill yet, but it is supposed to be $20 each for three Encore azaleas - a light pink, a dark pink, and a white.  We know azaleas grow in our yard, so I am hopeful.

Then he had to re-install the extension "bubbler" from the front corner downspout.  He had put it clear down at the curb where all the water went into street after washing the dirt out from around the sprinkler head.  It has now been moved to where we wanted it in the first place.

Now, go back and look at my first paragraph.  da dee da dee (that was music)   Okay.  These two professional guys, from a licensed company, and who are experienced in their work arrived late, which meant it was even hotter for them.  They came with no water, no hats, no extension cord that they needed, no rake that they needed.  I had planned to be busy doing things inside while they worked.  Instead I was busy answering the doorbell, getting water for them multiple times, opening the garage, getting the cord, getting the rake, going out to answer questions, etc.  And then as if that wasn't enough, I had to go out and clean up after them when they left.  Let's just say that I was not a particularly "happy camper" and leave it at that.

I still think this landscaper is a nice guy, he is a hard worker, but I expect more.  Maybe it is my age, maybe it is because I am picky about a lot of things.  Who am I kidding, I am picky about most things.  I admit it, I own it, get on with yourselves if you don't like it.  I have worked with the public, I have worked customer service.  I expect more professionalism from people we hire to work for us.  I know we are blessed and we are thankful to be able to "call the man" when we need something done.  But yesterday was just the pits.

Stay safe!


No comments: