Sunday, February 8, 2015

Some Seasonal Nostalgia



The "Today Show" had a bit about Valentine's crafts and I got to thinking about Valentine's Day many years ago. The way I understand how they handle Valentine's Day in the schools now is that our grandchildren have gotten lists with all the classmates names so they can do a card for everyone.  That way no one is left out.  That's nice.  I guess if they want to slip in a special card for someone, they can do that.  I don't know if they decorate "mailboxes" or not.


When I was a little girl, making the Valentine mailbox was a big deal.  It was a contest.  I don't remember what the prizes were.  We always started out with a plain shoe box. After that it was up to us.  Some were just painted red and hearts were pasted on.  Others had lace and bows and flowers.  It was always fun to see how pretty they were.  And always stressful wondering if you were going to get any Valentines.   In case any of you are totally oblivious, kids can be cruel sometimes.  But I don't remember there ever being a time when anyone did not receive any cards.  Looking back, I suspect that the teacher had a stash of cards in her desk for such occasions.  I remember we played games and had refreshments.  The kind of refreshments that now are not allowed into the schools. :)  Sugary cake and cookies, chocolate candy, squishy covered marshmallows......  Then we all took our boxes and cards home with our sugar highs.  Good times.

Then as we got older, there were special cards and candies and flowers from our special person.  Thank you, Golfer!  Love you!

Stay safe, people!

No comments: