Thursday, October 9, 2014

My Face Feels Naked!

I had my first cataract surgery yesterday.  Dr. Kitay said we'd start with the worst eye, my left one.  In two weeks we'll do the right one.  The surgery went well.  As soon as it was done I could tell that I could see better.  My vision was cloudy, but Dr. Kitay says that will clear up as my eye heals.  There is a regimen - written out in a spreadsheet - for eye drops for twenty-eight days.  Golfer took the left lens out of my glasses so I could still wear them and see out of my right eye.  But unless I held my head in a very precise way, I had double vision.  Also, my depth perception was a bit wonky.  When we went for my post-op appointment this morning, I told him about all that.  He said he could fix it.  Said to get rid of the glasses and he put an extended wear contact in my right eye.  It stays in until the next surgery.  What an  improvement!  Dr. Kitay also relieved some pressure build-up from the surgery in my left eye.  I go back next Friday for a re-check.

Before the surgery the tech told me to get a pair of cheap #250 readers,  I've been using them today and can see to read now.  But I'm not sure this is the right number.  I'm going to investigate this some more.  And find some fancy frames.  As I just told a friend, for fifty-eight years I've had normal (for the times) blend-in frames that would go with everything.  I want some fancy readers like Garcia wears on "Criminal Minds"!  I'll keep  you posted on that.  :)

I was a little anxious about the surgery, but none of the things I worried about happened.  I'll admit, the thought of someone coming at my eye with a sharp instrument gave me the "heebie jeebies".  The surgery was calm, and quick.  Everyone on the staff was very caring and considerate.  I had an IV but was awake and could hear them talking.

Before all the eye business, I started the week with a visit to my rheumatologist.  Not much new there, except the P.A. found a bone spur in my thumb.  I'm not worrying about that right now.  I had a lot of blood work done and everything was fine.

Golfer has been busy taking care of me and doing some things around the house and doing the yard work.  It cooled off some here.  Leaves are coming down, but there hasn't really been any color change yet.

The grandchildren have had various ailments, but are all either better or "on the mend" now.  Golfer's brother is doing well and is back to work.  The whole family is busy.  Life moves on.

Stay safe!




No comments: