Friday, July 5, 2013

Happy Birthday SPAM!

I had the radio on while I was out doing errands this morning.  They were telling about important events on this date in history and evidently it is SPAM's birthday!  I think it was introduced in 1937.  SPAM is frequently referred to as "Substance Posing As Meat".  It is advertised as a pork meat product.

It was a staple during WWII and the legend is that there are still warehouses full of it in Hawaii.  The islands had a lot of trouble getting supplies in then and SPAM has a shelf life of a gazillion years or so.  (I really don't know that for sure, but it lasts a long time!)  I do know it is still very popular in Hawaii.  When we were there we found it on every menu!  Including SPAM sushi!  ???

I haven't eaten SPAM since I married Golfer.  We are of the same mind about SPAM.  But it was a constant in the pantry while I was growing up.  I remember my Mom and Grama slicing it and frying it.  There were breakfasts of SPAM and eggs.  There were SPAM sandwiches.  There was cubed SPAM on trays for guests.  I am positive they snuck it into other dishes, too!  I noticed that it is still sold in the Commissary and now it even comes in different flavors.  I am sure they are just as absolutely wonderful as the original!  :)

So, anyway, Happy Birthday SPAM!  Sorry I can't make it to your party.

Stay safe!

No comments: