Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Birthday America!


I love and support our United States, even though often in spite of our leaders. I am extremely proud of Golfer for the life he chose. This is a great country.  I cry every time I hear our national anthem.  I cringe every time I hear someone ruin that sacred anthem with a new rendition trying to improve it.  Please, sing is as it was written. 

Yes, there are problems in our country. But you know what, there are always problems of some kind everywhere.

Golfer and I have been very blessed in our lives.  We grew up in Ohio - him on  a small farm, me in the small town near him.  The kind of town where as a child I could walk from one end of town to the other and feel safe.  If a kid had a problem you just knocked on someone's door and they helped you.  I feel bad that the kids today do not have that sense of security.  But life moves on.  There are other advantages now.

When Golfer and I married, we moved away from Ohio because he was already in the Air Force.  He had some remote assignments where I could not go along.  But he got to see what life was like in Thailand and in Saudi Arabia.  We lived in Germany and saw what life was like there..  We have lived in several lovely places here in the states.  And we ended up in Virginia. 

We've tried to see as much of our country as we can and we've traveled when we could.  We've seen the wide open plains of the West.  We've driven to the top of Pikes Peak and seen the majesty of the Rockies.  We rode in a small boat through the Wisconsin Dells.  Golfer hiked around Devil's Tower.  Yes, the very one that was in the movie, "Close Encounters"!  We've seen the beauty of Hawaii, and seen the rolling waves of both Oceans.  We've seen Mount Rushmore and the monument in progress for Chief Crazy Horse.  We've driven through the Badlands.  We've enjoyed the sights and history of Washington, D.C. many times.  And not too long ago went to New York City, the early gateway to the U.S.   I was glad to hear that Lady Liberty reopened today.  We wanted to visit her when we were in NYC but her docks were destroyed in Storm Sandy, so we had to look from the shore.  We hope to get to Alaska next Spring and see the glaciers.  But the main point here is that everywhere we have been there has been beauty and goodness.

So God Bless America, please!

Stay safe!

No comments: