Tuesday, June 25, 2013

A Time of Firsts!

Hey, all!

I mentioned in my last post about the Jefferson hot springs and going for a "soak".  That was a first for us.  This trip has had a couple other firsts!  We ate couscous  for the first time.  It was some sort of couscous and barley dish with a few bits of veggies in it.  It was very good.  Caryl, one of the owners, is an excellent cook and prepares great meals.

Today we took the rocky path down to the Cowpasture River here on the property.  We were the only ones there.  Caryl packed us a picnic lunch and we ate on the small deck by the river.  It's a beautiful area - peaceful and quiet.  Golfer got in one of the kayaks and went out on the river.  That was a first!  And he talked me into getting in one of the inner tubes and going out.  That was the easy part.  The hardest part was getting me back upright!  I can't remember when we've laughed so hard!  Finally we figured out if I floated out to where it was deeper I could get my feet down and under me and stand up and walk out of the water.  Remember, my joints don't work the way I'd like and there are sometimes balance issues, but what fun!  That was the first time that either of us could remember ever getting in a river.  Unless you count the creek on the farm where Golfer grew up.  When we were kids we were near the Tuscarawas River.  At that time the water would probably eat your skin off with pollutants.  It's cleaned up now, thank goodness.

It's been a lovely day.  Soon it will be time to walk down to the dining room.  We'll sit at the bar and listen to the bull frogs until the dinner bell rings.

Stay safe!

No comments: