Monday, August 30, 2010

aaaaaahhhhhhhh! (that's a good sigh)

I have not written very much recently. I've thought about it, things have run through my head; they just haven't made it into actual writing.

I've been sort of busy lately. I've been putting in extra time at the office and doing lots of things around home getting jobs finished and things done up ahead. I'll be having knee replacement surgery in two weeks and will be off work at least six weeks and in various stages of incapacitation for a while. Then there will be rehab and much work trying to get back to "normal".

I've known this was coming for a long time. I have damage in both knees from the RA and some deterioration from OA, also. And there are bone spurs in both. The left one is the worse and it's time to fix it.

I have a very good doctor. Golfer and I have been to the pre-surgery class at the hospital where we learned way more than we expected. And just from reactions of other patients, way more than they wanted to know. But we believe in being prepared. I've gotten my leg brace and had it fitted and got the cooling unit for my knee for post-surgery.

I will be in the hospital for a few days. Nurse J and Bikini will be helping Golfer take care of me after I go home, and helping him with all the other things involved with the daily workings of keeping house. He knows all these things and is absolutely quite capable of handling it all himself, but I like knowing he will have help. We think we've gotten things planned and under control for now.

So, having worked very hard and gotten things ready, Golfer and I are on vacation right now! He's playing in the Amateur Championship in Myrtle Beach. Several of our friends are here and the guys are having a great time playing a different course each day.

I am enjoying beautiful weather and spending the week resting and relaxing. I have finished one book and am starting on another. The balcony door is open and I can see and hear the waves on the beach. I'll be going down to "sit" and to swim in just a few minutes.

The storms out in the ocean - Danielle, Earl and possibly Fiona - are making large waves and I actually saw surfers yesterday. Not boogie boarders, surfers! There are rip tide warnings out now, but since I don't swim in the ocean, I'm just enjoying the sights and sounds of the waves. (I know my limitations!)

When we get home next weekend I'll get my walker and cane out of the back closet and clean them up and have them ready. But for now, it's time for a swim. Take care and stay safe!

No comments: