Monday, May 1, 2023

Happy May Day!

This post is about memories.

When I was a very young girl growing up in a small town in Ohio, the elementary school teachers would have us go out to the playground and do a May Pole "dance" on the first day of May.  It wasn't really a dance, but I don't know what else to call it.  You may have seen pictures of something like this somewhere.

There was a tall pole, I think meant for pole climbing, like in gym class.  They attached large ribbons to the top.  Then each child held a ribbon end and we walked around and would weave the ribbons together, like braiding.  It was very pretty, and we had fun.  I'm sure there must have been some kind of music along with that, but I really don't remember.

However, I do remember very well how our landlady, Frau Bargholz, taught us to celebrate May Day when we lived in Germany.  The custom was to secretly put gifts of small bouquets on friend's and family's doors.  Sometimes small baskets were used, but what she liked to do was make cone shaped holders out of heavy bright colored paper.  

Pam was just a baby and not quite old enough to help, but she liked the colored paper and the flowers.  Jacquie was the helper and we would get them made and then quietly go around and put them on neighbors' doors.  

I hope you are doing well.  Les and I are "okayish" here.  He is still recuperating.

We had heavy rain and thunderstorms yesterday.  Today is cool, very windy, and sunny.  I am hoping the wind will dry out our yard enough so Chris and Jordan can do the mowing for us tomorrow. 😊

Take care and stay safe.



No comments: