Sunday, January 24, 2016

Huh. Not Exactly What We Needed

I discovered early this morning that we were noticeably lacking hot water.  At first I thought the pipes were just so cold from our weather that it was taking longer to get the hot water from the garage into the bathroom, so I let the water run.  It just barely got up to lukewarm.  Boo!

So, I got the book out and we looked at it.  If you haven't realized this about us, we are a "call the man" home.  But, it's Sunday, and the day after several bad days of freezing temperatures and ice, wind, snow, and freezing rain.  So we thought we'd see if we could do anything ourselves.  The book said to check for any blockages on the venting for the water heater.  Golfer bundled up and went out and did that; did not find anything.  I read the "re-lighting the pilot light" instructions a couple times and figured I'd give it a shot.  I believe at this point Golfer might have questioned my sanity just a little but he wished me good luck.   So I bundled up and went out to the garage with my glasses, flashlight, and the magnifying glass - just in case my glasses weren't enough.  BTW, I love not having to wear glasses all the time and am thrilled my distance vision is wonderful, but I can't see SH** up close.

Anyway, I followed the detailed instructions step by step and got nothing.  So I came in and "called the man".  Got a very nice lady who explained that since it was Sunday it would be around $300 for someone to come today.  She suggested we tough it out if we could and call in the morning at 8:00 a.m. and the fee would be much less.   I now have a phone/to-do list for tomorrow and that is at the top!

Our weather is in the mid-30's today with bright sun.  The snow and ice are not melting very fast though.  The news reports have said that many roads are still icy and expected to re-freeze tonight, so tomorrow morning won't be much better.  I have heard the plows out on I-64, but since this is the South and they don't have any more plows than absolutely necessary, side streets and neighborhoods never get cleared.  We just have to wait for melting.

Now I'm going to go read.  Golfer is watching the first football game of the day.  Obviously, there has been no golf playing lately.  I am positive he is not the only guy getting "antsy" to be back on the course.

Stay warm and stay safe!

No comments: