Sunday, September 20, 2015

Whew! and Ick!

Has anyone else saved their dolls from childhood and then discovered that the "rubber", or whatever they were made of, got really greasy and sticky??  Hence the "ICK!

Ever since we cleaned out the attic last Summer, I have thought I  needed to really clean out the closets in our library and office.  They had things stored there that couldn't go into the attic because of the heat up there.  I have been able to put that job off for a year.  Somehow, I decided today was the day.

I started with the library closet.  The truth is, that most of that closet is Christmas decorations and I have been cleaning those out over the last few years.  But I did clean out some other things that were in there.  And then it was on to the office library.

This was more challenging and exhausting.  This is where we store our out-of-season coats.  Also things like USAF uniforms that Golfer has kept.  There are only two of those and they are nicely covered in garment bags.  My wedding dress is in there.  And I also have my Mom's mother-of-the-bride dress that she wore.  She made both those dresses, so they are safely kept also.  I dusted all the clothes and bags.  Then hauled out the boxes.  These were boxes of my old stuffed animals and dolls, baby clothes from the girls, baby clothes our mothers gave us that we had worn, and other assorted things.

Looking at all this and making decisions is time consuming, but it is all done.  I checked with Bikini and Nurse J and neither of them were too interested in anything but they are both getting a bag of "stuff" anyway.  :)   I will be calling DAV tomorrow to schedule a pick-up.  Everything is boxed and bagged and out in the garage for now.   Also, the dumpster is full.  The closets were vacuumed and the "keeper" things were moved back in place.  I am glad to have that job done.

Although I did have to throw out a couple dolls, my original Tiny Tears doll and my Shirley Temple doll have survived the years.  They are now safely wrapped up and stored away.

Golfer and I do have to look at a couple things that are up on the shelf in the office closet.  But I ran out of energy and oomph and didn't feel like climbing up on the step stool to get the things down.  We'll take care of that some time this week.

Other than this, things have just been normal around here.  Getting back into the "Y" routine after the Summer and taking care of things around the house.  I have to go for a bone density tomorrow.  Golfer has a dental appointment later in the week.  I went and had my hair cut on Friday.

There is just starting to be a faint hint of color on the trees around here.  A lot of leaves have just given up and turned brown and dry and fallen down.  We have already cleaned up several bags of them.

I hope all is well with everyone.  Stay safe!

No comments: