Friday, April 10, 2015

Coffee Snob


I'm not quite this bad with coffee, but on our road trip I came to the realization that I. AM. A. COFFEE. SNOB.

We - mostly Golfer - did a huge amount of planning for our road trip.  Kept him busy while I was recuperating from surgery.  We decided to take advantage of breakfasts offered by hotels and lodging, and to take a small cooler with things to have a light lunch.  I admit it.  I am spoiled by Starbucks.  And by Golfer who makes excellent coffee.  It's great when he makes it.  When I do -- not so much.

Coffee offered at hotels was usually not very hot.  I was okay with that because I always let mine cool a bit so I don't burn my tongue.  But sadly, along with "not hot" came "not good".  One morning it was so bad at the breakfast bar that I went back to the room and tried making some in the little room pot. That was even worse!

When I drink coffee I want it to look and smell like coffee.  I don't want to be able to read the paper through it.  Perhaps I got hooked years ago in Switzerland.  When they would bring our coffee at the guest house on the side of the mountain overlooking the cows, they brought a pot of warm cream to go with it.  You had to make it about half and half to drink it.  And it was goooood!  And those are good memories.  We went to Switzerland twice.

So I get a bold coffee now and have a splash of half and half in it.  I usually only drink one cup and that is in the morning.  I want it to be good coffee.  I don't want any froo-froo coffee concoction.  I don't want to take five minutes explaining my order at Starbucks.  Just bold coffee.  I'm funny that way.

Stay safe and have a cup!

No comments: