Friday, May 30, 2014

Oh, The Traffic Hazards I've Seen!

I feel a need to comment on the dire state of traffic/driving safety.

Recently we were almost late for a dinner reservation due to someone losing their boat.   We wanted to go Westbound.  This guy was going Eastbound, went over a bump, and the boat he was hauling bounced off the trailer.  It then skidded through the median and came to rest across three lanes of traffic.  I can only assume there was something he neglected to fasten or tie down.  And I bet he had a hefty repair bill on that huge pretty boat!  Fortunately for us, Golfer saw the back-up in time to go a different way.

While on vacation we passed a couple accidents on the way to Myrtle Beach.  One car looked like the driver didn't see oncoming traffic while she was pulling out of a yard sale.  Another looked like he had rolled the car several times off the road, down the embankment and into the woods.  The windows were all broken out and it looked bad.  There were lots of emergency crew people at that one.

I think you all know how I feel about large trucks.  I'd prefer if they had their own road system.  But at the very least couldn't we go back to the time when they had to stay in the right lane?  I've lost count of how many times we've been behind a large truck in the passing lane.  And he's just poking along under the speed limit and not passing anyone.  Geez!

And then.........while we were there in Myrtle Beach there were the bikers.  Not the Harley bikers.  The locals say the Harley riders rarely cause any problems.  They are kind and considerate and do good works.  Once in a while one might have a little too much beer and get loud, but at least they don't make a habit of shooting each other.

I'm talking about the "other" bike fest, otherwise known as the BBF.  These are the guys who don't ride in, they haul their bikes in and show off and cause trouble.  This year a lot more trouble than before.  Meetings have started and plans are being made.  Something has to be done.  But enough about that.  Back to traffic issues and driving habits!

These bikers are all over the road, weaving in and out.  Stopping along the road to have a "gathering".  I suspect they might be discussing where they plan to cause trouble next.  But who knows?!?!  There are lots of red lights and stop signs run through and other laws ignored.  I am positive that a cycle rider sticking their foot out is NOT a valid turn signal!

We stayed at a new location.  More of a beach town spot.  People there drive "golf" carts instead of their car to get from the cottages to the beach or downtown.  I think I need to check a driving manual.  I'm pretty sure that having your passenger stick their arm out on the right side is NOT a valid turn signal.

So.  Sign me up for a hovercraft or flying car.  Stay safe!

No comments: