Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Mondays Are Sometimes Really "Mondays"!

Warning - - - if you are squeamish about kitty pee, stop reading this post.



I noticed Sunday that our furry kid, Angus, seemed to be having some litter box issues.  He would go to the litter box, get in and squat, and nothing happened.  And the times he did actually go, it was a really small amount.  We use a clumping litter.  Usually we're scooping out "handful sized" clumps.  Angus' were the size of quarters.


First thing Monday morning I called our veterinarian and when I explained the problem I was told to get him there as soon as possible, don't even bother making an appointment.  So I left the breakfast dishes where they were, took time to brush my teeth and then called for Golfer to help me wrestle Angus into the cat carrier.  On about our third try, we got him in.

As soon as I walked in the door to the clinic, they whisked him to the back to determine if his bladder was hard and engorged, which would mean he was blocked.  FYI - this is a serious problem and can be fatal if left untreated.  He was not blocked, so they returned him to me to wait to see Dr. W.

After a thorough exam she decided he must have an infection and inflammation.  She prescribed two medicines for him.  Then she asked me how he is taking pills.  I told her I had no idea since we'd never had to give him any.  She said she would give him the first doses there to get things started.  So far, so good.

As I was checking out and signing paperwork, L, a wonderful young lady who kitty sits for us when we travel, suggested using pill wrap.  This comes in a jar, and is smelly and sticky. She says the animals love it.  You take a little dab of it and squish around the pill.  The theory is that this will then be considered a treat and the cat will gobble it down.  Please note that I said "theory".

I am considering writing the company a letter.

So this morning, I geared  up to give Angus his second dose of medicine.  Thank goodness they are both once a day pills!  I get the goo wrapped around the pills.  I find Angus.  I talk it up and offer him a surprise yummy treat.  Golfer and I have smart cats.  Angus wasn't having any of it; he looked at my offering with such a look of suspicion and disdain.  So I picked him up and took him into the bathroom where we have a nice high counter.  I put him up on the counter, got him in a football hold.  If you've ever had to pill a cat you know what I mean.  And then I tried to get the sticky wrapped pills in his mouth.  Let me tell you, pill wrap gets really slippery when it gets kitty spit on it!  I finally got the pills in him after about half a dozen tries.

Tomorrow morning I'm getting out our pill popper and trying that method.

Additional Monday fun was the extra laundry that was the result of  some pee leakage. Angus had had a small "accident" in the carrier that I was unaware of.  So when we got home and I opened the carrier, it got on me, and then he tracked it on the floor.  So I had to catch him again and wipe him down, then clean the floor, then clean the carrier, then clean me.  Fun times.

Stay safe.

No comments: