Tuesday, September 8, 2009

A SAD DAY

I like animals. Some more than people, some better than others, but I still like them all. At the church where I work, a family of squirrels lived in a big, old oak tree. About eight or nine feet up the trunk was the entrance to their home. On sunny mornings, when I pulled into the parking lot and parked the car, they would stick their heads out of the hole and say hello. Sometimes in the Winter, I would leave nuts around for them to eat. They were cute. They were God's friendly little creatures. I would watch them running and jumping around the tree limbs while they played.

This morning, on my first day back in the office after vacation, I pulled into the lot and the tree is GONE. Just a pile of sawdust. I was very sad. I hope the squirrel family made the evacuation of their home safely. I know the tree was in sad shape and some folks thought it was going to fall on them. And I can see the rationality of removing it, but still, I am sad. Those squirrels made me smile.

To further enhance my mood, it is still raining. Some flooding in the area, some roads closed, estimated rainfall is somewhere around eight or nine inches so far. It's supposed to rain for the next day or so.

And on top of that, I got myself over to the "Y" for a swim only to find out that the pool is closed because of a "chemical imbalance". Harumph.

I'm done. That's it. Stay safe.

No comments: