Monday, November 20, 2017

Happy Thanksgiving Week!


I thought that before things get more hectic I would just take time to say "Happy Thanksgiving!"  I hope everyone has a wonderful day.

It has been cool, windy, and we've had some rain here.  Today is still cool, but sunny.  Les and I had both done leaf clean-up during the past week but due to the wind you certainly can not tell we did!  However, we bought a bagger for the new riding mower and Les got that set up so I am sure it will get used in the near future to gather leaves.

And while the leaves are coming down fast, we have azaleas blooming and things are still green.  When we get that first heavy frost it will be time to cut back Liriope, day lilies, and do final pruning  on things.  Always something that needs to be done in the yard.  😊

And next week the decorating and baking begins!

I have been having some reaction to the steroids that were prescribed for the recent case of hives and I will be very glad to finish those pills this week.  I know it takes a while to completely leave my system, but I hope it is quick.  Today is a slow day for me; I woke up with a muscle cramp and nerve spasm in my left leg.  This has happened before but today's is a bad one.  It has calmed down but is still tender.  I am being careful.  And did I mention that steroids can make you emotional?

I used to watch the "Today Show" every morning; would even record it so I wouldn't miss something.  I stopped doing that quite a while ago because I just simply can't/ don't want to hear and see any more about politicians, criticisms, blamings, shooting, stabbings, bombings, attacks, protests,  and riots.  There comes a point where you need to protect your mental state.  After Les retired I got used to seeing Mike & Mike on ESPN in the mornings instead.  I really enjoyed them - Greeny and Golic.  Their show ended last Friday.  I am sad.  Golic will have a new show starting next week.  Greeny will have a new show starting next April.  Good for them, but I miss their show already.  I can see my morning routine might have to change.  If there is no Mike & Mike and I can't stand to see the news.....???

Well, life goes on.  Things change. People come and go.  Every now and then something or someone does something good and makes you smile.

We recently saw that the Christmas parade back home had been postponed due to bad weather.  When I was little girl, this parade was always held on the Saturday after Thanksgiving in downtown Massillon.  The Christmas lights would be hung over the main street and the stores decorated.  Mom and I would take the Greyhound bus up to Massillon and spend the day to see the parade and everything.  The parade always ended with Santa arriving.  In my mind, there was usually snow, too.  That may or may not be right.  😊  It seems to me that we frequently had snow from Thanksgiving through Spring; even lasting through Easter some years! But maybe a child's mind just remembers snow as a good, happy thing.  I also remember Mom and I would pull my sled up to where they sold Christmas trees and then haul a tree back home.  Mom did not have a car until I was old enough to learn to drive.  It was a small town and we could walk everywhere.  BTW, Mom always picked a tree with small pinecones on it so they would open when the tree warmed up in the house.  They crackled and smelled really good.  And entertained Louie, our orange tabby cat!

Well, enough nostalgia.  Memories are good!  Life is good!  Stay safe and have a great holiday!  And God Bless America!

No comments: