Monday, October 23, 2017

Bullies


There is a lot of discussion on bullying lately.   Anyone can be a target.  Most of what we hear about is bullying on  children and young people.  But bullies come in all shapes and sizes and ages - young kids, teenagers, adults, athletes, clergy, politicians, entertainers, producers, etc.; it just doesn't matter.  We often hear the sad news reports after the target of the bullying can't take it anymore.

Somehow, over the years, there has been a breakdown in parenting and how children are taught.  There is an alarming number of people in the world today who think they are entitled to whatever they want and that everyone else must cater to their whims and wishes. If they don't get what they want they have a hissy fit and attack.

Somewhere along the way while absolutely everyone who did anything including just being in attendance for something got recognition, things went haywire.  Trophies are given out just for having your name on a list.  I believe recognition, trophies, awards, etc. should be given for hard work and performance, not just for taking up air space.

Les and I have never claimed to be perfect parents - there is no such thing.  But we did our best and raised two beautiful daughters who are smart, responsible, and caring.  They are raising their children to be that way, too.  Parenting is hard work.  Sadly, too many parents have decided it is easier to be their child's friend and let them have whatever they want, and that is how we ended up with so many entitled, selfish, uncaring bullies.

In later grade school years and in junior high I was the target for teasing and bullying.  Then, you were told that if it happened, you should tell someone - teacher, bus driver, parent.  If you did, the bully would be dealt with at school and then more than likely again at home. That rarely made it stop completely and sometimes just made it worse.  However, in cases where the bully's parents got involved, it did get better.   Those were different times. It happened, I moved on, and I put it out of my mind; by high school it was better.  To be honest, I was probably an excellent target.  I was the child of a divorced mother in a small town where everyone knew everyone else's business.  I wore glasses from age six or seven, I was always "chubby", I LOVED school and was a good student, and Mom made my clothes.  She was an excellent seamstress, and clothes were expensive; it was just the two of us and she was not getting any child support or assistance.  That is a lot to work with and bullies are rude and cruel.  None of that made it right for them to take my books, my homework, call me names, or push me around though.

I would like to add here that never in my childhood did I feel deprived of anything and I always felt loved.  And guess what?!  Those bullies and teasers are not around anymore!  I don't know where they are or what happened to them.  I don't care either.  I am guessing they are gone due to bad behavior and bad life choices.

Having said all this, bullying has seemed to get much worse with all our modern technology. Or at least we are hearing about it more.  It's one thing to tease another child face to face, hurt them, and make them cry. What goes on today with all the insults, threats, and attacks is quite another situation.  Parents, please, please, teach your children, be aware of what they are doing, and raise them well to be compassionate and understanding human beings.  And if you see something, say something!

Stay safe and God Bless America!

No comments: