Thursday, July 10, 2014

Memories

I think I mentioned that Golfer and I recently cleaned out our attic storage area.  We sorted through all kinds of things.  Some was just junk and got thrown into the dumpster.  Some had been damaged; that also went into the dumpster.  Some had significant importance - at least to me - and got passed on to Nurse J and Bikini.  And a big pile of "stuff" got donated to the DAV.

One of the things we found was an old scrapbook that I had started many years ago.  It was filled with things saved from a road trip we took when we lived in Colorado.  We took the girls to Disneyland, by way of the Grand Canyon and Mesa Verde.  Over the years I have discovered that I like making collages of trip souvenirs, tickets, postcards, etc.  I put these in poster frames and hang them up.  Our stairway up to the bonus room is lined with these collages.  There's also a few hanging here in our office.  It makes me happy to look at them.

Back to the scrapbook... its pages are brittle and yellowed.  Tape has lost its stickiness.  And, honestly, I never finished it.  So this afternoon while it's been dark and rainy, I gently took everything out of the book. Then I started my new collage.  It was a trip down memory lane.

That trip started out as a camping adventure.  For the record,  I am NOT a camper.  Never will be at this stage of my life.  And we had never camped before.  But we thought it was a good idea.  What can I say, we were young.  So the first night we pitched our tent and settled in.  I remember the cookout for dinner was good.  That was the highlight of the experience.  "Something" spent the night right outside the tent eating and chewing and making noise.  I did not sleep.  No one slept well.  The bathroom was a hike away from the tent.  The girls were three and six.  Use your imagination.

The tent rode in the back of the station wagon all the way to California after that and then back to Colorado, where it was promptly sold.  Hence the lovely postcard of the Motel 6 in my collage!  We had a package deal and stayed in the Disneyland Hotel while we were there.

I had to take picture at an angle to reduce glare.  It is still dark and rainy here.  :)
Life is good.  Stay safe!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Oh hey, it's the Winnie the Pooh I was convinced was going to murder me by crushing me with a gravity-affected honeypot!