Sunday, January 12, 2014

Some Thoughts and Perhaps a Mild Rant!

Hey, all!

Our weather here has been all over the place.  We've had cold - 11 degrees -  for a couple days.  Yesterday it was in the 70's and damp.  The damp turned into heavy rain, high wind and tornado warnings.  We were fine, but not too far away there is damage from downed trees and such.  Sirens went off and alerts come over the phone.  Today is cooler - in 50's - and the sun is out.

I'm still in clean-out mode here.  We've gone through the closets and dressers.  Have a few more areas to sort through and then I'll call DAV for a pick up.  There is work to be done in the yard, but   conditions are not right at this time.  :)  And my energy level is not up to it.

I've been getting used to my new Surface 2 tablet.  It was a Christmas gift from Golfer.  I like it!  But we have had some issues.  Right away Best Buy started sending us emails saying to download the virus protection.  We tried multiple times.  Never would work.  We made phone calls.  Still couldn't do it.  I tackled the project again this morning.  I called Geek Squad like their email said.  The young woman that answered my call seemed friendly and polite.  And she did try to help.  But, again, nothing worked.  She finally said I would have to go to the Geek Squad desk at Best Buy and have them do it.  So away we went.  In the space of about fifteen minutes or less it was discovered that the Surface 2 does not need to have the virus protection downloaded!  It would have been oh, so helpful, and so much better to  have had someone tell us that at the beginning!  And to NOT get the emails!  I have been hesitant to use the tablet because I was afraid of downloading something dangerous that would wreck it.  That was all for nothing!  So all is well now.

And while all is well with the Surface 2, I would like to state a personal opinion.  And I know it sounds terribly politically incorrect and prejudiced, but I think I prefer my Geek Squad help to be in the form of young, male persons with strange haircuts and bumpy complexions.  They just seem to have a few more answers.  I would also like to say that in a few years, when BeyB gets a job in the computer/technology field (this seems to be where she's headed) I will TOTALLY trust her with my computer questions.  It's just that the young lady today talked like a twangy Southern bimbo.  I could picture her with big blonde hair.  She did give it a good try to help, but .... nothing.  So I thanked her and said good-bye.

In other news, as of the first of January I am officially on Medicare.  I have my "Welcome to Medicare" appointment this week.  Woo hoo!  Golfer has worked out all the ins and outs of getting our prescriptions through the mail with Express Scripts.  So we're moving forward.

We've been reading some good books, and watching some good movies.  Here's a picture of Cinder watching "Pacific Rim" with us.  She's hoping the Kaiju don't get her!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying comfortable.  Stay safe!

No comments: