Saturday, September 20, 2008

GEE WIZ ! ! ! ! ! ! ! @ * % ^ * # !

Hey, all! I'm still here, but it's been a rough couple weeks. I've had a few doctor visits and several new medications, and I think things are finally starting to look better. I'm going to do a little public education here now.
If you have ever had chicken pox, you are at risk for later in life developing shingles. The virus stays in your body and hides in your nervous system. Then, at a really opportune time, like when you are stressed from dealing with extreme pain in your foot from a stress fracture, this virus will activate itself. It can take on many forms. In my case it was a funny tingly feeling on my head and face to start out. That worked into tingly with pain. By the time I was actually diagnosed, it was like lots of little spiders wearing spikes running around on my face and head and stabbing me often with little spears. And, oh, yes, let's not forget the swollen left eye and then blisters that follow the nerve route on my face and head. Fun times! So, I've had two kinds of antibiotics, an anti-viral medication, and steroids. But as I said, things are looking up now.
Unfortunately, someone who has shingles is contagious to people who have never had chicken pox, or who have immune deficiencies. Fortunately, Golfer had chicken pox as a child. So while we are both creeped out by this, all is well for now.
There's a hint of Fall in the air here in Virginia. No leaf color changes yet. I haven't been able to go out and get any pumpkins, but Golfer did plant some pretty chrysanthemums out front.
Take care of yourselves out there! More later.

No comments: