Friday, July 1, 2022

An Early Wish

Seems like a lot of folks are having a long holiday weekend.  Stay safe!

The news did the usual 4th of July warnings on fireworks of all kinds.  Made me have memories of childhood.

There were always picnics and lots of family gatherings of all sizes. I remember Grama's deviled eggs and her pies!  Lots of flags, sometimes parades.  My sister would take her two girls and Mom and me to the Massillon football stadium to watch fireworks.  That was a big event at the time.  Especially so because Mom didn't have a car until I was old enough to learn to drive.  We lived in a small town and took the bus if we needed to go somewhere out of town.

Among the things now banned many places are sparklers.  I loved sparklers!  And those little black pill-like things you put on the sidewalk and lit with a match that made long snakes!  Yes, we were allowed to use matches!  I remember we also used to put a strip of caps on the sidewalk and hit it with a stone and it made a "bang"!  Ahhh, the good old days; and we survived.

Anyway, take care of yourselves and have a happy and peaceful 4th!



No comments: