Friday, April 29, 2022

A First

I donated blood for the first time yesterday.  Les has been going regularly to donate.  I had been thinking about it, decided it was time. So when he scheduled his appointment this time, I scheduled, too, and we went together.  

The Medics and staff were very nice, very patient.  

I have a history of Vasovagal response episodes when getting blood draws, injections, vaccines, etc. I can not control this.  I do all the preparations and stay hydrated, make sure I've eaten, take deep breaths, and sometimes they still happen.  It used to be ALL the time.  After the accident it got better  - you know, things in perspective and all, I guess. I'm fine getting injections now.  Blood draws are okay if they get a vein on the first try.  If they do more than one stick or start twisting around to get a spot, I have problems.  So, knowing this, I told the Medics yesterday to give them a warning.

The very nice woman getting me ready said not to worry, they had me.  And they have people pass out all the time.  If I started to feel bad, I should just call out or wave.  

I was fine until towards the end of the donation.  I could feel issues starting and called and they were quick to respond.  If you have never experienced one of these episodes let me describe what it feels like for me.  First my vision starts to go all wonky - flashy lights, colors change, can't focus.  I break out in a cold sweat, I feel nauseous, and my breathing changes. 

Took a little while to get over it, but after some water, and the salty pretzels they kept wanting me to eat, I was okay.  I am fine today.

So, thank you Red Cross volunteers!  And heads up!  I'll be back.

Stay safe and take care of yourselves.  God Bless America!  Life is good!

No comments: