Saturday, February 22, 2014

Winding Down

The 2014 Winter Olympics are almost over.  This has been a strange event.  I did not expect to see palm trees in Russia.  And there's something wrong with watching snow sports with the athletes in shirt sleeves!  

I had issues with timing.  The events I wanted to watch were almost always shown too late at night.  Of course, I could have watched them during the afternoon broadcasts, but I was usually busy doing other things.  But I saw most of what I wanted to see and also discovered a couple new events that I really enjoyed.

What's not to like about Snow Board Cross!?!?  Four to six boarders racing down the course at the same time, wiping out and falling down and sliding all over the place!  YAY!  And there was Ski Cross!  Also with multiple skiers racing down and wiping out!  I don't want to see anyone get hurt, but I love watching them sliding over the finish lines on their butts!

And all that brings to mind when Golfer and I lived in South Carolina and went to Roller Derby!  Also a good one to watch.  And many years ago, when we lived in Maryland we went to "big time wrasslin' matches".  Now keep in mind that I grew up watching my Grama and Granpa watch wrestling and boxing on TV and scream at the participants.  Of course, they also yelled at the court show participants and game show participants, but that's another story.

We also went to base hockey games while stationed in Germany.  Another good opportunity to get excited and holler.

Ladies' figure skating is usually quiet and serene.  Until it gets to where they are unhappy with the judges. That is also another story.  I don't think I saw any of the male skating this time.  I heard the announcer tell that for the next Winter Olympics the skaters will be allowed to use modern, popular music and they were hoping no one would choose to skate to Bieber.  We'll see.

I enjoyed Matt and Al on the Today Show going down the luge again.  They said this was the last time for that!  Good thing.

Stay safe!

No comments: