Thursday, January 31, 2013

Oh, the Woes of the Post Office!

We have been hearing for years now about the sad state of affairs at the U.S. Post Office.  I am certain I can't fix it, but Gee Wiz!  I could sure tell them a few things that are wrong.

I had to go today to buy stamps for the office.  There was one person working the counter.  There was a line.  I finally moved up and asked for two rolls of stamps.  All was well until I asked the woman for the new rates for additional ounces and for post cards.  She didn't know.  She didn't have a list.  She left the counter for a couple minutes hunting the answer and came back without one.  To sum it up, NO ONE in the Post Office knew what the new rates are!

Before Christmas I succumbed to their advertising.  The emails and TV ads all said "easier, quicker" to order your stamps and have them delivered.  I don't like standing in lines any time, but especially at Christmas, so I ordered some stamps we needed.  It took over TWO WEEKS to get them!  And they were coming FROM THE POST OFFICE!

Their problem is ongoing and not just something that has popped up all of a sudden.  Years ago I had to go speak to the office manager because some of our mail - bills I had paid and sent - took twelve days to get from one end of town to the other.  The person in charge told me, to my face, that it was not the responsibility of the Post Office to make sure the mail got to the destination.  When I questioned that,  I got snippy attitude.  This was a factor in my learning how to pay bills online.

I still use the Post Office.  There are a couple things that still need to be paid by "snail mail"  and I still send greeting cards.  UPS has been an alternate source for sending packages but they are pricing themselves out of business for some things.

I know the Post Office is an American "institution" and has been around forever.  I wish them well.  But come on, guys.  Get your act together!

And stay safe!

No comments: