Sunday, June 20, 2010

JUST SOME RANDOM THOUGHTS.....AND SOME NOT SO RANDOM

Hey, all! We hope you're all doing well.

First of all, Happy Fathers Day to Golfer, CableGuy and Brief!

And then "Get Well Soon" to my sister!

It's hot and muggy here in Virginia. We're talking "Africa hot" here, folks. You can look out at the yard and see the grass drying up. And this is after the sprinkler system is running on schedule. I was looking out the window yesterday and saw a squirrel on the deck, stretched out flat on his belly with his head hanging over the edge of the deck. Pitiful! But he got up and moved about the time I was ready to go out and check on him.

Golfer and I had our first dealings with the Social Security office this past week. He did his application online last weekend. Monday we got a call from the local office to set up an appointment. We went to the office on Tuesday afternoon with our papers. Judy was excellent! She was so helpful and informative and efficient. Turns out she's actually retired herself and just working now because they called her back for a few months. I'm glad we got her! She did all the numbers and input data and the money was in our account on Thursday. It was all so much more efficient than we ever expected!

I do have a small rant though... I really do think that if you can't speak English you don't have any business in the Social Security office. Golfer and I were definitely a minority in the waiting room. It was packed with non-English-speaking young people. My thoughts on this are: 1. Are you here legally? Show me your green card! 2. If you are here legally, you should be speaking English. And have a job and supporting yourself. 3. If you aren't here legally, GO HOME! And that sums up my thoughts on the general state of things, folks.

Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts about why our "Harry Potter" DVDs won't play? We tried to watch them in order and the first three movies and the fifth one will not play on either DVD player. It just says "no disc". I am annoyed.

Did you know that your garbage disposal can become unplugged? As in no electricity? I was cleaning up in the kitchen this morning and flipped the switch and nothing happened. Boooo! So I got my tool kit, the flashlight, some towels, and got myself down on the floor and under the sink. Darn thing was unplugged from the wall outlet under there. Easy fix, but who knew?! And how did that happen?

I bought myself a "Gopher III" gadget. It's one of those extended reach helper thingies. It works very well and can grab a weed and yank it out of the dirt pretty well! Picks up a lot of other stuff, too, but the constant bending and stooping is difficult for my bad knee so I thought I'd try it in the yard.

Take care and stay safe! That's all for now!

No comments: