Saturday, April 10, 2010

SPRINGTIME IN VIRGINIA - HACK, COUGH, WHEEZE!


Hey, All!

I hope you are all well and happy!

Things are "busting out all over" in our area. And along with that comes the major pollen issues of the season. We had several days that were near 90, so the A/C had to be turned on. For cooling as much as for keeping the pollen outside! Then we had a nice rain and wind one night and that sort of cleaned the air for a while and cooled things off. today is sunny and in the low 60's. And, the pollen is building back up.

Golfer and I had a busy week, but the yard looks great! Our friend, C, who does landscaping, came and spread out a truck-load of new mulch for us and did some edging. We had some areas enlarged because grass was not growing and we added some stepping stones and planted a couple new azaleas. Deck furniture has been cleaned and grass mowed and things are looking good out there.

We also planted a tiny Rose of Sharon bush. Our sister-in-law, V, started it for us from a cutting from one she has kept going. They are descendants of one that Golfer's Mom and Dad had years ago. Ours is tiny, but appears healthy.

I have been pondering what to put on the deck table this year. You might remember that last year I had bought the cute coffee cup pots and had them filled with lovely growing things. The pots did not survive the weather when it started to get colder here and they are now gone, after their glazing cracked and the pottery broke. I thought I wanted something I didn't have to be sure to water every couple days, and I found just the thing! I had been looking for a frog or turtle to use as a centerpiece, but all the ones I saw were sort of goofy looking. Then I found this guy on a clearance aisle! I love him!

That's about all from here. Stay safe!

No comments: